Baluji Shrivastav OBE
September 22 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm£11.50 – £13.50
Be transported to India and experience its six seasons through the mesmerising music of Baluji Shrivastav OBE, celebrated blind Indian sitarist and composer, accompanied by tabla.
Baluji’s performance will be a wonderful opportunity to hear classical Indian music at its best, with a selection of pieces from his upcoming album (ARC).
“Captures a poignancy that crosses all cultural divides” – The Guardian
“Intoxicating” – Vogue Runway
Baluji Shrivastav OBE is one of the greatest instrumentalists India has produced excelling in sitar, surbahar, dilruba, pakhavaj and tabla. The outstanding characteristic of Baluji’s musical career is his versatility. His ability to concentrate on sound as his primary mode of interaction with the world has enriched his musicality and his courageous attitude to life is reflected in his approach to music. Firmly established in the Hindustani classical tradition he delights in exploring music in all its forms and composes for film, dance, theatre and original works for Western orchestra and Indian ensembles.
Baluji has released many albums, had many successful UK and international tours and has worked with a wide number of renowned artists including Stevie Wonder, Massive Attack, Noel Gallagher, Coldplay, Shakira, Malu and Pepe Habichuela, earning him the title ‘sitarist to the stars’ Evening Standard. He has his own Jazz ensemble Jazz Orient/Re-Orient which has produced five albums to much acclaim.
Baluji is a tireless ambassador for blind and visually impaired musicians, and has formed the Inner Vision Orchestra who recently toured their Unlimited International Commission ‘Antardrishti-Inner Vision’ in the UK and India. Baluji was awarded the OBE for services to music and as founder of Inner Vision Orchestra and earlier this year he received the prestigious Hind Rattan Award (Jewel of India) from the Indian Government.
- Grapevine’s free listings service is offered to promote live entertainment.
- Your entry will appear online but to ensure inclusion in our printed magazine check the print deadlines here: Magazine Deadlines
- Unsure what to fill in? Click here for quick our guide.
- Just to be clear we promote LIVE entertainment: Music, Theatre, Comedy & Dance. We do not list charity or community sales, country fairs, craft workshops, discos, DJ sets, exhibitions, film, karaoke, quiz nights, walks, tours or sporting events.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in our listings from time to time events change or get cancelled. We strongly suggest that you check with the venue especially if you intend to travel any distance. Ticket prices shown are, generally speaking, the most you should expect to pay. In many cases discounts and concessions are available and often tickets bought in advance are less than ‘on the door’ prices.