CUD + support
October 5 @ 7:30 pm - 11:00 pm£15
Emerging from the same art/design cauldron that produced fellow Leeds legends Soft Cell, Scritti Politti, and The Mekons, CUD were the pre-Britpop answer to doleful shoe-gazing bands – fun-loving, light-hearted, romantic and downright catchy.
Alternatively loved or loathed like a yeast extract, CUD are indie rock for the unpretentious pleasure seeker, boasting as they do the rich deep-lunged voice of Carl Puttnam, edgy guitars of Mike Dunphy and tight, funky rhythm section of William Potter, bass and Gogs Byrn, drums.
CUD were initially lauded for their quirky Peel session cover of ‘You Sexy Thing’ in 1987. They soon built up a huge live following and buffed up their repertoire with a string of un-straight pop beauties, best exemplified by the 1990 album ‘Leggy Mambo’. This led to a major-label deal with A&M in 1991, front-page NME coverage, massive sell-out gigs and proper Top 30 hits, ‘Rich and Strange’ and ‘Purple Love Balloon’.
Misunderstood by record companies and press, CUD packed away their guitars and sticks in 1995 but, bolstered by a greatest hits anthology (‘Rich and Strange’) in 2006, they agreed to tread the boards again, with a further reunion following in 2012 (now with original guitarist and key songwriter Mike Dunphy) and continue to find an army of ‘Space CUDets’ still eager to sing along, dance like fruitcakes and invade their stage.
Tickets are £12 in advance, available from the Box Office on 01449 774678 (10am-2pm weekdays) or online through our ticket partner, WeGotTickets (10% booking fee applies). Also available on the door for £15.
- Grapevine’s free listings service is offered to promote live entertainment.
- Your entry will appear online but to ensure inclusion in our printed magazine check the print deadlines here: Magazine Deadlines
- Unsure what to fill in? Click here for quick our guide.
- Just to be clear we promote LIVE entertainment: Music, Theatre, Comedy & Dance. We do not list charity or community sales, country fairs, craft workshops, discos, DJ sets, exhibitions, film, karaoke, quiz nights, walks, tours or sporting events.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in our listings from time to time events change or get cancelled. We strongly suggest that you check with the venue especially if you intend to travel any distance. Ticket prices shown are, generally speaking, the most you should expect to pay. In many cases discounts and concessions are available and often tickets bought in advance are less than ‘on the door’ prices.