- This Gig has passed.
DJ Format + Chrome
October 12 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm£8 – £11.50
The title of his 2003 debut album says it all: Music For The Mature B-Boy. That’s DJ Format for you, boiled down to the essence. He’s the grown up producer/beatmaker who, admittedly, spends far too long digging for bafflingly scarce records to play, sample, and make you dance.
His five artist albums, featuring rap heavyweights like Edan,Mr Lif, Phill Most Chill, Jurassic 5, and of course long-time collaborator, Abdominal, have been called some of the highpoints in UK hip hop. And his skill in compiling albums and crafting mixtapes has seen him enlisted by the good people at FabricLive, Fania, and BBE, for block party business, Latin funk bombs, and heavy psych sessions, respectively.
More recently a string of cut ‘n’ paste 45s have kept his name in DJs’ boxes. These megamix tributes to the likes of James Brown, Kool & The Gang, and The Meters, are as funky as they were labour-intensive to put together.
His DJ sets are like long form versions of these productions – Easy on the scratches, meticulous on the execution, and built on the deep crates he’s spent years building.
Catch him behind the decks at a spot near you. His high-octane sets of soul, funk, Latin, and feel-good hip hop, have rocked spots the world over. And he’s never happier than when he gets the chance to share his mature b-boy music with people just like you.
- Grapevine’s free listings service is offered to promote live entertainment.
- Your entry will appear online but to ensure inclusion in our printed magazine check the print deadlines here: Magazine Deadlines
- Unsure what to fill in? Click here for quick our guide.
- Just to be clear we promote LIVE entertainment: Music, Theatre, Comedy & Dance. We do not list charity or community sales, country fairs, craft workshops, discos, DJ sets, exhibitions, film, karaoke, quiz nights, walks, tours or sporting events.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in our listings from time to time events change or get cancelled. We strongly suggest that you check with the venue especially if you intend to travel any distance. Ticket prices shown are, generally speaking, the most you should expect to pay. In many cases discounts and concessions are available and often tickets bought in advance are less than ‘on the door’ prices.