November 27 @ 7:30 pm£22
“They don’t play together very often, but when they do it’s spectacular” – 5* R2 Magazine
Periodically, the bringing together of influential musicians, all with their own unique identity, produces an electrifying force that is even greater than the impressive sum of its parts.
As a trio, Gigspanner, formed by fiddle player Peter Knight (ex-Steeleye Span), has established a reputation as one of the most genuinely ground-breaking forces on the British folk scene, inspiring Maverick magazine to write “Gigspanner are pushing at the boundaries, expanding the possibilities and in the process making some of the most beautiful music the genre has to offer” 5*.
BBC Folk Award winners (Best Duo) Phillip Henry and Hannah Martin are described by The Guardian as being “Subtle, bravely original… a combination of virtuosity, intensity and charisma”.
And as if that collaboration wasn’t exciting enough in itself, enter John Spiers, co-founder of Bellowhead and one half of the magical duo Spiers and Boden, and most recently, Knight and Spiers.
Their appearances together, with Roger Flack on guitar and Sacha Trochet on hand percussion, are a rare, but highly sought after affair, thanks to performances of dazzling musicianship and arresting on stage chemistry.
Taking self-penned material along with music rooted in the British Isles and beyond, with the flick of a bow, a finely chosen chord or slip of a beat, they produce richly atmospheric arrangements layered within a wealth of subliminal musical influences “with notes seemingly plucked from the stars and rhythms from the equator” – Spiral Earth.
- Grapevine’s free listings service is offered to promote live entertainment.
- Your entry will appear online but to ensure inclusion in our printed magazine check the print deadlines here: Magazine Deadlines
- Unsure what to fill in? Click here for quick our guide.
- Just to be clear we promote LIVE entertainment: Music, Theatre, Comedy & Dance. We do not list charity or community sales, country fairs, craft workshops, discos, DJ sets, exhibitions, film, karaoke, quiz nights, walks, tours or sporting events.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in our listings from time to time events change or get cancelled. We strongly suggest that you check with the venue especially if you intend to travel any distance. Ticket prices shown are, generally speaking, the most you should expect to pay. In many cases discounts and concessions are available and often tickets bought in advance are less than ‘on the door’ prices.