December 20 @ 7:30 pm
“This music still glows as brightly as that first hearing…Shakatak aren’t just a band, they were the soundtrack to our lives” RONNIE SCOTT’S House Magazine (UK)
“A wild diversity seldom found anymore… tons of rhythmic and stylistic variety…slamming” JAZZIZ Magazine (USA)
Shakatak have enjoyed a level of success and career longevity rarely paralleled in contemporary music but then Shakatak is a particularly unusual group. Because of the nature of their music their fan base is one that is far reaching while always retaining an “underground” element. This paradox sees the band, who are known primarily as serious jazz/funk musicians, enjoying both high “cult” status and instant recognition as a household name due to their numerous hit recordings.
In the past 6 years the band have performed concert dates in the UK, Mexico, Germany, Holland, Azerbaijan, Russia, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria and Slovakia plus club dates at the prestigious Billboard, Blue Note & Cotton Clubs in Japan. In December 2011 Shakatak headlined at the Penang Island Jazz Festival and played a concert date in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Their brand new release is “In The Blue Zone” which features guest appearances by the UK’s top jazz singer Liane Carroll and Germany’s super-star trumpeter Till Bronner.
Throughout their 39 year career Shakatak have released over 50 CDs plus 3 DVDs and most of the band’s extensive back catalogue is available world-wide on iTunes.
For live performances the band consists of the four original members Bill Sharpe (keys), Jill Saward (lead voc, perc & flt), Roger Odell (drs) & George Anderson (bs gtr), augmented with a guitarist and a backing vocalist/saxophonist, producing a musically dynamic and entertaining show from the 6 piece line-up.
- Grapevine’s free listings service is offered to promote live entertainment.
- Your entry will appear online but to ensure inclusion in our printed magazine check the print deadlines here: Magazine Deadlines
- Unsure what to fill in? Click here for quick our guide.
- Just to be clear we promote LIVE entertainment: Music, Theatre, Comedy & Dance. We do not list charity or community sales, country fairs, craft workshops, discos, DJ sets, exhibitions, film, karaoke, quiz nights, walks, tours or sporting events.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in our listings from time to time events change or get cancelled. We strongly suggest that you check with the venue especially if you intend to travel any distance. Ticket prices shown are, generally speaking, the most you should expect to pay. In many cases discounts and concessions are available and often tickets bought in advance are less than ‘on the door’ prices.