Songs of Sanctuary
October 29 @ 8:00 pm - 11:00 pm£8 – £10
Classical Syrian/Contemporary Folk Fusion
Songs of Sanctuary is a fusion of classical Syrian music and contemporary folk songs performed by folk songwriter Sam Slatcher and Raghad Haddad from the National Syrian Orchestra, the musicians from the Stories of Sanctuary project.
Songs of Sanctuary is a stripped back and intimate arrangement of the Stories of Sanctuary songwriting project that brings together people from different backgrounds – including Syrian refugees and long term residents of County Durham – through writing originals songs. The repertoire includes many of the songs from the wider Stories of Sanctuary project arranged for guitar/piano and viola alongside ancient Syrian folk tunes and some of Sam’s more recent songwriting on the theme of sanctuary. This year, Sam and Raghad opened the official Refugee Week celebrations at the V&A in London with ‘Songs of Sanctuary’ (hosted by Counterpoints Arts) and have performed at the Migration Matter’s Festival in Sheffield as well as Leicester Cathedral.
In Autumn 2019/Winter 2020, Sam and Raghad are seeking to partner with theatres, concert halls and music venues across the UK to host a ‘Songs of Sanctuary’ performance. The performance includes up to 2 sets of 45 minutes, with a variety of original songs from the Stories of Sanctuary project as well as unique arrangements of classical Syrian folk songs. Please get in touch with Samif you would be interested in hosting Songs of Sanctuary.
Raghad Haddad is a highly accomplished viola player from the Higher Institute of Music in Damascus. She was a member of the Syrian National Symphony Orchestra and has performed in the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra conducted by Daniel Barenboim. After seeking refuge from the Syrian civil war in the UK in 2016, Raghad now performs with the Orchestra of All Saints MAS in Brighton and the London Syrian Ensemble.
Sam Slatcher is a folk singer-songwriter living in Durham, North East England. His honest and reflection songwriting, delivered with a calming and delicate voice captures the warmth of humanity and a longing for peace and justice. To date, Sam has released a debut EP ‘In Unlikely Places (April 2018) and curated the album Stories of Sanctuary (Nov 2018). Sam frequently performs across Northern England and sings and plays guitar, piano and bouzouki.
- Grapevine’s free listings service is offered to promote live entertainment.
- Your entry will appear online but to ensure inclusion in our printed magazine check the print deadlines here: Magazine Deadlines
- Unsure what to fill in? Click here for quick our guide.
- Just to be clear we promote LIVE entertainment: Music, Theatre, Comedy & Dance. We do not list charity or community sales, country fairs, craft workshops, discos, DJ sets, exhibitions, film, karaoke, quiz nights, walks, tours or sporting events.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the information in our listings from time to time events change or get cancelled. We strongly suggest that you check with the venue especially if you intend to travel any distance. Ticket prices shown are, generally speaking, the most you should expect to pay. In many cases discounts and concessions are available and often tickets bought in advance are less than ‘on the door’ prices.