BurySOUND Open for Applications
The organisers of BurySOUND have just announced that the competition will be returning to Bury St Edmunds and Haverhill for its 22nd year in February 2020, and that the event is now open for applications!
Established in 1998 by St Edmundsbury Borough Council’s Youth and Community Development Officer Jackie Smith and local promoter Paul Johnson, BurySOUND is one of East Anglia’s best-known and longest-running band competitions, endeavouring each year to discover, nurture and promote up-and-coming musical talent. Many musicians and acts who’ve previously been part of BurySOUND – as competitors or guest headliners – have gone on to achieve great things: alumni include Gaffa Tape Sandy, Bessie Turner, Miss Black America, Tundra, She Makes War, Sam Eagle, Sun Scream and Lewis Mokler (aka Huntar).
The winner of BurySOUND 2019, Gabby Rivers, has since gone on to play several high-profile shows and festivals (including a headline slot at Latitude Festival) and has been heavily championed by BBC Music Introducing in Suffolk.
The dates for BurySOUND 2020 are:
- Heat 1 – Friday 7th February at The Hunter Club, Bury St Edmunds
- Heat 2 – Friday 14th February at The Hunter Club, Bury St Edmunds
- Heat 3 – Friday 21st February at Haverhill Arts Centre
- Heat 4 – Friday 28th February at The Hunter Club, Bury St Edmunds
- Heat 5 – Friday 6th March at The Hunter Club, Bury St Edmunds
- GRAND FINAL – Friday 20th March at The Apex, Bury St Edmunds
BurySOUND is a collaboration between West Suffolk Council, Haverhill Arts Centre and Washing Machine. East Anglian artists of all ages and genres are welcome to enter; however, priority will be given to younger artists based in the West Suffolk area.
To enter, simply head to http://www.burysound.com/enter
The deadline for entries is 5pm on Friday 1st November 2019.