Nancy Kerr on Tour
BBC Radio 2 Folk Singer of the Year 2015 Nancy Kerr launches her new album INSTAR with a UK tour in September and October 2016.
Finding herself increasingly fascinated by the role of the environment as a character in music, literature, art and film, Nancy’s new compositions explore the themes of human/ecological interaction that lie just beneath the surface of so many traditional folk songs. The lore and language of nature provide a repertoire of raw, universal images with which to address subjects such as gender identity, human rights, migration, colonialism, austerity and love.
With her Sweet Visitor Band now an established unit, Nancy’s writing is also focused on the musical qualities of band mates Rowan Rheingans, Tim Yates, Tom Wright and Greg Russell, with guest appearances from James Fagan. The ensemble’s atmospheric sound reveals the scale and drama that the lyrical subjects require.
INSTAR extends some of the themes introduced in both Nancy’s Sweet Visitor album and in Murmurs – her collaboration with Martin Simpson and Andy Cutting on Topic Records – and acknowledges the influence of contemporary nature writers Rob Cowen (whose 2015 “edgeland” memoir Common Ground provided great inspiration), Helen Mcdonald (H is for Hawk) and George Monbiot (Feral).
“Folk’s poet-laureate at the height of her creative powers.”
Folk Radio UK
“An absolute masterpiece that is not to be missed.”
Bright Young Folk
Nancy Kerr Autumn 2016 Tour Dates:
- 23 Sept Sage Gateshead, GATESHEAD
- 26 Sept The Musician, LEICESTER
- 27 Sept The Greystones, SHEFFIELD
- 28 Sept The Greystones, SHEFFIELD
- 29 Sept ARC Stockton Arts Centre, STOCKTON ON TEES
- 02 Oct MAC Birmingham, BIRMINGHAM
- 04 Oct Chipping Norton Theatre, CHIPPING NORTON
- 05 Oct Vivacity Key Theatre, PETERBOROUGH
- 06 Oct Cecil Sharp House, LONDON
- 07 Oct Wiltshire Music Centre, BRADFORD ON AVON
- 08 Oct Guildhall Arts Centre, GRANTHAM
- 09 Oct Topsham Folk Club, TOPSHAM
- 12 Oct West End Centre, ALDERSHOT
- 15 Oct Homegrown, Bury Met, BURY
- 21 Oct Hartlepool Folk Festival, HARTLEPOOL