Hot on the heels of his most successful solo tour ever, Steve Hackett announces his Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited – Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights tour for 2022.
The tour will mark the fiftieth anniversary of the legendary Genesis album Foxtrot which, in 1972, was pivotal in establishing the band as a major force in British rock.
Guitarist Steve Hackett joined Genesis in 1971, making his band debut on the Nursery Cryme album which enjoyed a greater commercial success in Europe than the UK. After extensive touring, the band were encouraged, by audience reactions, to further experiment with ever longer compositions and develop their ability to incorporate strong narratives. This, in turn, allowed frontman Peter Gabriel more opportunity to indulge in the theatrics which helped to raise the band’s profile.
“I think Foxtrot was a terrific achievement for Genesis at that time,” says Steve Hackett. “I think there is not one weak track on the album, they all have their strong points and I’m really looking forward to doing the whole album live.”
Foxtrot was critically acclaimed and became the first Genesis album to make the UK album charts. The first track, the sci-fi influenced Watcher of the Skies became a fan favourite and perennial live set opener while Get ‘Em Out By Friday was a cutting slice of social comment about concrete tower blocks replacing aging slums, driven not by concern for communities but by the greed of developers.
Hackett was the lead writer of Can-Utility and the Coastliners, featuring some particularly strong musical ideas, and also contributed his classically-inspired solo piece Horizons. “The original version was a rough mix but there was something about it. A rough monitor mix can have things that something more considered won’t necessarily possess. I liked the sound of the rough mix, so we went with that” he comments.
The album’s highlight was the twenty-three minute epic Supper’s Ready which remains a concert favourite and featured on Hackett’s recent Second’s Out tour. “’Supper’s Ready’ was a sojourn, an odyssey and something that goes down very, very well with audiences now.” Hackett adds. “As part of ‘Second’s Out’ I’ve been playing the whole of that again, it really has stood the test of time.
“We were a young, struggling band at that time. By the time we were doing ‘Foxtrot’, the band was becoming more ambitious. ‘Foxtrot’ is a must for fans of the early Genesis work. Fifty years ago? It doesn’t feel like those ideas are fifty years old because it was-genre defining, rather than following trends. It still sounds current, now.”
The Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited – Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights tour also promises more Genesis favourites and highlights from Hackett’s extensive solo catalogue.
Steve Hackett and his touring line-up of Roger King (keyboards), Jonas Reingold (bass, backing vocals), Nad Sylvan (vocals), Rob Townsend (saxophone, flutes, additional keyboards) and Craig Blundell (drums) have recently completed the 31-date Genesis Revisited Seconds Out +More UK tour plus additional European dates.
Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited – Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights 2022 Tour Dates:
- Friday 9 September – Swansea Arena
- Saturday 10 September – Cardiff St David’s Hall
- >>> Sunday 11 September – Cambridge Corn Exchange
- Tuesday 13 September – Aylesbury Waterside
- Wednesday 14 September – Torquay Princess Theatre
- Friday 16 September – Portsmouth Guildhall
- Saturday 17 September – Bexhill De La Warr Pavilion
- Sunday 18 September – Birmingham Symphony Hall
- Tuesday 20 September – Hull City Hall
- Thursday 22 September – Gateshead Sage
- Friday 23 September – Glasgow Royal Concert Hall
- Saturday 24 September – York Barbican
- Monday 26 September – Buxton Opera House
- Tuesday 27 September – Grimsby Auditorium
- Wednesday 28 September – Northampton Derngate
- Friday 30 September – Sheffield City Hall
- Saturday 1 October – Manchester O2 Apollo
- >>> Monday 3 October – Southend Cliffs Pavilion
- >>> Tuesday 4 October – Ipswich Regent Theatre
- Wednesday 5 October – Bath Forum
- Friday 7 October – Leicester De Montfort Hall
- Saturday 8 October – Liverpool Philharmonic
- Sunday 9 October – Brighton Brighton Centre
- Tuesday 11 October – Bournemouth Pavilion
- Wednesday 12 October – London Eventim Apollo, Hammersmith
Tickets for Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited – Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights are on sale from 10am on Friday 10th December 2021 and can be purchased from myticket.co.uk.
For further information visit hackettsongs.com.