Hot on the heels of releasing their second critically acclaimed Top 20 album ‘Death of the Party’, The Magic Gang return with the brand new single ‘Somebody Like You’.
Opening with a classic yet deceptively simple guitar riff that reels you in, ‘Somebody Like You’ bursts into the kind of melodically sweet, harmony-rich chorus that The Magic Gang excel at. And at a time when downbeat news lurks at every corner, ‘Somebody Like You’ is a shot of pure positivity which celebrates the power of friendship. Vocalist/guitarist Kris Smith wrote the song about drummer Paeris Giles.
Even though the album just came out, we’ve been writing non-stop (there’s not much else to do) so we thought why sit on this song? It’s also the first song we’ve self-produced, we’ve been learning a bit about that in lockdown too. The song is about enduring friendship. Lockdown was the longest Kris and Paeris had gone without seeing each other since they were eight-years-old.The Magic Gang
‘Somebody Like You’ offers something a little different to ‘Death of a Party’, which found The Magic Gang broadening their sound with elements of Northern Soul, disco and post-punk. The singles ‘Think’, ‘Take Back The Track’ and ‘Make Time For Change’ all received extensive support at Radio 1, plus further airplay at Beats 1 and Radio X.
Despite the restrictions of recent months, The Magic Gang have been making the best of a bad situation. As well as honing their production skills and working on new material, they also spread joy by offering to write love songs for fans who were missing loved ones during lockdown – a campaign that resulted in over 1000 requests.
The Magic Gang are set to embark upon a long-awaited headline tour in March. It runs in parallel with dates as guests to Blossoms, including a huge show at the Manchester Arena. The shows are:
- 4th – Newcastle, Riverside
- 7th – Dublin, Academy 2
- 8th – Carlisle, Old Fire Station
- 9th – Liverpool, Arts Club
- 11th – Cardiff, Tramshed
- 12th – Birmingham, 02 Institute 2
- 13th – Gloucester, Guildhall
- 15th – Nottingham, Rock City
- 16th – Southampton, The 1865
- 17th – Brighton, Chalk
- 18th – London, EartH
- 19th – Norwich, Waterfront
- 20th – Sheffield, Leadmill
- 21st – Manchester, O2 Ritz
- 23rd – Newcastle, O2 Academy 1 (with Blossoms)
- 24th – Glasgow, O2 Academy (with Blossoms)
- 25th – Aberdeen, Lemon Tree
- 26th – Hull, Arena (with Blossoms)
- 27th – Leeds, O2 Academy (with Blossoms)
- 29th – London, O2 Forum Kentish Town (with Blossoms)
- 30th – London, O2 Forum Kentish Town (with Blossoms)
- 31st – London, O2 Forum Kentish Town (with Blossoms)
- 1st – Oxford, O2 Academy
- 2nd – Birmingham, 02 Academy (with Blossoms)
- 3rd – Manchester, Arena (with Blossoms)
- 29th – Neighbourhood Weekender